Sunday, July 12, 2009

We Made It

Hi everybody. This is Julia typing from Ukraine. We made it here safely and are in our apartment room just hanging out. Dennis is sleeping on the couch and my mom is sleeping in the bed.
The plane ride was very long and boring. I didn’t sleep much on the plane but while my parents slept I had to watch Dennis. He was a handful. I was glad when my parents woke up so I wouldn’t have to watch him anymore.
When we first made it to Ukraine we had to wait in a line to get our passports checked. Then we went to look for our luggage. We thought it was lost after awhile but then we saw them. We were so happy. Later on we saw the people we were meeting and they took us to our apartment. Then we took a walk in Ukraine.
The weather here is so perfect. It is like 70 degrees and just so nice. We played at a park, saw the underground mall, then we went out for lunch. We went to a place call the “Potato House”. I ordered a meat and cheese burrito but when I got it, it had like a pickle sauce in it and it wasn’t very good. My mom and dad ordered a Greek salad and ribs. They enjoyed them both. Dennis got a baked potato, but he didn’t eat it so I did because I didn’t like my meat and cheese burrito. After that, we went to a different park by our apartment and played there.
There was this little boy who was like 5 years old who walked up to me and Dennis at the park. He said something in Ukraine and then pointed to his eye. I knew what he meant but in English I said I don’t understand you. Then, he laughed. He kept on following us around for the rest of the time at the park.
Then we went back to the apartment. My mom got a deep cut in her leg from hitting it against a pole. So far, I’ve had a very fun time in Ukraine.

6 comments:

Connie said...

Glad you made it safely! Riding long distance on a plane is boring, and you are right, keeping a little kid like Dennis entertained on the way is tough! But he's a clever boy. Why not try using a notebook and pencil for playing simple drawing games? Not a coloring book, plain paper. It's good that you are there to help your parents.

Lots of love to all of you, from all of us!!!

Mary said...

It's so great to hear what you are doing - looks like y'all are having fun. I know what you mean about kids Dennis' age being a handful - I was taking care of a 1-year-old at my house on Friday, which is not even slightly babyproofed, and I was on my toes the whole time!

Teri said...

I am so happy to hear you all made it safely and are able to enjoy this wonderful experience. I hope you are able to write more, it is so interesting.

Kelli said...

this is so exciting for your entire family. Have fun, stay safe. Hugs and Prayers

Julie said...

Sounds like you are having a great time exploring. Thanks so much for sharing.

Julie

Tina in CT said...

What a wonderful experience for you. Just think what you can share with your friends when you get back home.

I get you are a big help for your parents with Dennis and keeping him entertained.

Enjoy the rest of your trip and meeting your new brother.

Sorry to hear how you cut your foot. With all the walking, it must be hard for you and painful.